The Basilica of Ste. Anne de Detroit was founded in 1701 and is the second
oldest continuously operating parish in America. The beautiful neo-Gothic
basilica and surrounding buildings are an architectural gem in the heart of Detroit.
The convent was built in the 1860s on the Ste Anne’s Parish complex
and is now a part of the Historic District in the shadows of the Ambassador
Bridge. The renovation of the Ste. Anne’s Convent for Unwed Mothers was
completed under the guidelines of the City of Detroit Building Department
and City of Detroit Historic Commission.
The renovation included uilding exterior work which consisted of tuck
pointing of the original brick, updating of the exterior security lighting, removal
and replacement of failed concrete and new guard rails for the elevated
patios and front main entry.
The interior of the building was a complete renovation. The demolition work
in a building constructed in the 1800’s to accommodate the new layout offered
quite a few unforeseen challenges from asbestos remediation to demising
walls that were not constructed to today’s building codes. Throughout the
demo, Roncelli took great care in maintaining the original grand stairwell along with
the original base boards and window trim. The reconfiguration of the interior
consisted of a new 2500-lb. electric elevator, a four-story service stairwell,
a new kitchen, 10 bedrooms, a laundry room, a community room, a dining room,
a computer lab and four new bathrooms on three different levels.
The mechanical, electrical and plumbing portion of the work brought the
building up to today’s building code standards and beyond. Roncelli took this work
to a new level to insure the mothers and babies have all the convenience and
comforts available. The installation of the new fire suppression system and fire
alarm system will let the occupants in the building sleep well at night.
Get to know us better
Want to learn more or get started building with us? Fill out the form below and a Roncelli team member will reach out to you shortly!